Wednesday, July 04, 2007

It's all about the F.A.M.

Being back in America is so so strange. It’s been a day and a half now and it’s still strange to think I’m here. Stranger still to think that I am going back to Korea. It all seems like a dream now, an alternate reality, as I fall so quickly back into the routine of living at home and spending time with the family. They were more excited to see me than I dared even dream—I halfway expected the little kids to not recognize me, or at least be really shy! But they leapt forward at the gate and I was victim of a four-way hug. Not a bad way to go.

Last night we had a quiet dinner at home with Grandma and Grandpa Cookie. Shishkabobs on the grill and ice cream pie for dessert. Bridget and I both ate with chopsticks. She’s evidently been getting into all things Korean lately and has been eating with them for a couple weeks now. We’re both determined to use only chopsticks now. It’s nice to have a companion in my weirdness.

Today we went hiking. They are all complaining about the heat—it’s a good 90+ degrees in the day here—but to me, it feels nice! And it’s so cool at night...I am totally not used to it! Though the sun was hot, I didn’t sweat much at all on the hike, which was a nice change from the usual pool of sweat induced by Korea’s humidity. The kids did surprisingly well, too. I think we went about five miles in all.

This afternoon we picked up my bike (so I can tool around town—I’m afraid to drive after a year of bipedalism) and some Korean takeout (Bridget’s demand). It was nice to have some Korean—I miss it a bit already and I feel off without my usual fare—but it was sooooo different. The components were different, the tastes were different...and I do not like change. I know she has to cater to a fickle American clientele, but still...kimchi chige with noodles and not spicy? Ddokboki with noodles and not spicy? Kimbap sans nearly all vegetables? At least the kimchijeon was excellent, as always, and I’m anxious to try the kimchi. We’ll see how it compares tomorrow.
After dinner Beast and I biked to the top of Sypes Canyon and back down. I was really proud of her—it was probably five miles of solid and steady uphill and I didn’t think she would make it at all. But she hardly complained. I’ve definitely got to take advantage of the fact that she is loving spending time with me to whip that girl into shape so I have a companion for my adventures. I am feeling very alone right now in the sense that I really have no friends in the entire state. Sure, I burned all my bridges and I don’t wish I were friends with the people I used to run with, but I wish I had people to call, people who cared I was back. Instead, I have an ex-boyfriend whose “interesting news” is his impending fatherhood (small town gossip sure travels quick—he wouldn’t tell me over email but I found out already) and a couple of old drinking buddies who are most likely occupying the same bar stools and may or may not remember my name by now. Family should be enough, right?