Monday, February 18, 2008

Tea Party of One (A Return to Solitude)

I’m having a tea party in my room and it’s amazing. I had to reorganize all my teas and tea-related implements last night—I have so much now they will no longer fit on my desk and I had to dedicate my massive wardrobe drawer to them instead. I acquired seven new teas, two new tea sets (one for school and one that’s travel-sized), a set of carved wooden trays, a few new tea cups (including two exclusively for sniffing), and various tea snacks (tea plums, jackfruit chips, horse beans, and dates) while on my trip. Now I am busily sampling them all. Tonight I’ve been catching up on home life, trying to get my life back in order after such a long absence, while sipping on teas—first Alishan High Mountain Oolong, which was an excellent light brew, and now Darjeeling “Golden Glitter,” which is a little stronger but still good. I do prefer the lighter variety—what they call spring or first flush teas, I believe—but I do like to mix it up. It’s no fun if they all taste the same! This tea craze is getting a little out of hand, admittedly, but I figure it’s all good as long as it’s my one indulgence. I mean, tea IS good for you…I don’t know if I feel a discernible difference in my physical health, but sipping a good brew is certainly spiritually calming. Especially on a cold winter day!

Today was my first day back at school. I am definitely rusty in the teaching department—and the students are equally rusty in the learning department—but it wasn’t too bad. I’m sure it will get better as we get used to one another again. I’m teaching 16 students in grades 3-5 (soon-to-be 4-6). It was nice in a way to see them again. I found myself thinking I shouldn’t rule out teaching English entirely yet…it really is a pretty sweet job. Maybe I could do another year of this after all, though certainly not in Hongsan. I’ll need a change of scenery at least. As much as I do like the countryside, I do want a life at some point! I’m normally not much of a city person, but I find it calling me lately, if only because I’d have access to so many things there—potential friends, language classes, good food, better transportation options, other classes…it’s something to think about, certainly.

And it was surprisingly nice to see all the familiar faces at the school. However, it seems so many of them will be missing this coming year! Kyoung Hee Sam will be teaching in Buyeo, my co-teacher will be in Daejeon, Ho Seong (the first-grade teacher) will be in Buyeo, the third-grade teacher I love will be in some other district, the kindergarten teacher will be in Naesan, Eun Soon will be in Cheonan…and one teacher died a couple weeks ago. He was very old, but still…very sad. I only hope the replacements will be at least as good! I suppose it doesn’t matter much, since I’ll be leaving so soon anyway, but I am very hopeful there’ll be someone young who will be interested in being friends. It’s kind of pathetic I’ve been here so long and I have absolutely no Korean friends. I will have a new co-teacher—an English teacher, actually, which is a definite improvement!—and I hope that will work out well. I’m told she’s young and beautiful. Is kind and interesting too much to hope for?

After work I hiked the good old Hongsan ridge, my favorite climb of old. It was nice to see those rocks again! I definitely am out of shape, though, even if I am much thinner. My co-teacher actually asked me today if I was okay…evidently I look like I’ve wasted away! I doubt this will last, though, the way I’ve been gobbling down Korean food. I love it even more now after two months away!