I just returned from a dinner party in Buyeo with the teachers at my school. It was supposed to be a farewell to the teachers leaving us—my co-teacher, one of the kindergarten teachers, the gym teacher, and one of the fifth grade teachers. We went to a restaurant I’d never been to before and had—big surprise here—a small ocean of seafood. Good thing everyone looks out for me so well, or there literally would have been nothing for me to eat! I had some roasted corn, eggs, lettuce drenched in mayo, and fried sweet potatoes. I actually like eating these side dishes. I always get more than enough food, with everyone ordering extra for me and giving me all the veggies from each of the tables. Plus, they are usually very delish. Tonight was okay—I was maybe a little bored (and Eun Soon called me out on it)—but it was nice to see everyone. They were all visibly glad to see me, and being a vain person, that pleased me (and their compliments didn’t hurt, too). It’s just too bad so many are leaving. And I never even got a chance to talk to my co-teacher because he left me about three minutes into the dinner. The next thing I knew, he was sitting for a long time with his head in his hands, and then he disappeared halfway through dinner. I found out later from the fifth grade teacher that “he is too much drink” and had gone to his car to sleep. I’d never seen the guy drunk—how crazy! And I had a present to give him and everything. Guess we’ll have to meet up some other time. My new co-teacher (whose name I forget at the moment) is a second-grade teacher and lived in Canada for three years. She’s pretty great and I think it will work out well. It was always my dream to have a female co-teacher, anyway. She was already pressuring me to stay another year…they’re relentless!
Tomorrow I am going to Seoul again. I’m meeting some friends there and then going skiing at a place near Seoul on Sunday. It should be a good time, though I have serious doubts about the “snow.” As in, I don’t see how there could be any at all, and if there is, I’m sure it’s absolute crap. But it’s cool, ‘cause I’ll ski circles ‘round the fools, anyway. This MT upbringing’s gotta be good for SOMETHING.