It’s a little startling to realize I’ll be back in school in exactly 36 hours after having such a long break. To be honest, I am not really looking forward to it. Sure, it will be nice to see my kids again, but then there’s the whole teaching thing. How did I teach for four months already? I don’t know how to teach! Who was I fooling??? Here’s hoping it’ll come back to me…
Today was not terribly exciting. I did the usual reading and writing and took a long walk in the afternoon. It was really nice outside today—I was in a T-shirt and shorts and I was warm enough. That sometimes doesn’t happen even in California’s winter! I also ate maybe a pound of mushrooms today and they were all delicious. I love my host mother’s cooking so much. She’s so good to me. My mushroom fetish has become somewhat of a joke around home and school and people are always making or ordering them for me. I’m not complaining. Sometimes I wonder what the family eats when I’m not around, though. I hope it’s not too different—I’d hate to be the one forcing them to eat things they didn’t like.
Otherwise…no grand advancements in philosophical thought today. I was just feeling a little melancholy and missing home a bit, if only because then I could talk to my family rather than attempt to eavesdrop in vain. I think I caught my host sisters calling Eun Ho a mushroom head today at lunch, which is sadly true. I’m pretty sure he hasn’t had a haircut since September or October and he’s looking rather feminine lately.