Thursday, May 03, 2007

Basking in the Glow--Thursday, May 3

And thus ends my week of teaching. What a joke! I only did 11 of my scheduled 20 hours this week. Not that I’m complaining…if only it were this easy ALL the time. Tomorrow we have a special sports day. I’m not really sure what to expect—all I know is that three other smaller elementary schools are coming, there’s running and samulnori involved, and kimbap and ice cream for sale during lunch. Oh, and I’m supposed to be there, to support the students, I guess. Sigh….J. I think it will actually be fun to watch them go at it, even though it means I’ll be unprepared, as usual, for Monday. Such is life for this girl.

Today was otherwise uneventful, but somehow delightful at the same time. I am really happy with my decision to stay so far…things have been going well and my love for these kids runneth over. For some reason, they are making me enormously happy right now, even though I was ready to pummel them with heavy objects until they screamed less than a month ago. Funny how these things work. I see them now and I can’t help but smile. I was taking a run today after school, before I went to taekwondo at 6, and I saw a bunch of them out playing and slowly making their ways home. They all shouted and me and waved wildly and it made me indescribably happy. And then when I was walking home, a couple students spotted me and leaned out of their cars to yell at me. Bliss. Basically, I’m a sucker for positive attention and enjoy being queen of Hongsan Elementary much more than I’m sure is probably healthy.

I found out today that we’re definitely going to Jirisan May 25-26. It does cut in on the one long weekend I have all semester, during which I planned to either go to North Korea or Ulleongdo, an island off the east coast, but it will be fun, I’m sure, and I really appreciate the gesture on the part of my co-workers. Seriously…how ridiculous is it that an entire school trip is being arranged on my behalf? To a resort, no less. That’s another perk—a FREE vacation! My co-workers have been going all out with regards to me lately (minus the exclusion incidents of last week—I’m sure there were extenuating circumstances) and I truly appreciate it, especially in light of my decision to stick with them for another year. I must admit I was a little afraid it was all a ploy to get me to stay and then they’d drop me like it’s hot. I guess they still could…I’m not sure if my co-teacher has shared the news with everyone.

I talked to my mom and sister last night and it made me really happy to hear their voices. I can’t believe I’ll be home in two months! I’m getting really excited to have another Montana summer, which is perhaps my favorite thing of all time. The dry heat, the long days, the water, the hiking, the sunsets…what’s NOT to love?!?! It seems everything is falling into place. If I were a fatalist, I’d say it was meant to be. Really, I’m just grateful for my incredible luck in finding a job that’s okay and pays well and allows for adventure. And while I am sure there will be times when I deeply regret what I’ve done and wish I were home, I am sure they will be outweighed by times like this, when everything is seemingly cast in a rosy hue. I am at peace.