Today my fourth grade girls told me I have a big stomach. They struggled through all the English they know to get that point, and only that, across. I am wondering a) if these girls are blind—they’re not all sticks themselves; b) why it’s so important to inform me of this, to the point that they struggle to say it at all; and c) if I can punch them in the faces. Seriously…I know how personal appearances are so important in Korea and they’re often commented upon, but it hurts. I guess ‘cause I know I have gained quite a bit of weight and my stomach is bigger than it was—it’s a very sore subject. I still think I am fine, though, and for them to single out my stomach for criticism is just misguided and rude. I don’t care if they’re ten years old. It cuts deep just the same. Being the mature adult role model I am, I gave them the silent treatment and didn’t sit with them at lunch, but I don’t think they even noticed.
And later, three of my sixth grade girls demonstrated their English movie knowledge when they reenacted scenes from Titanic for me. Well, supposedly. I don’t remember them. They were trying to tell me how Rose told some guys, “Shut the f*** up!” but I really think they didn’t use that word back then. But that point aside, I was somewhat surprised to hear them use that phrase. They obviously at least had an inkling of what it meant, or at least that it’s a forbidden word, because then they proceeded to spell it out for me. “F-U-C-K-Y-O-U.” Where are they learning this? Why are my demure female students out to shock me today? It’s certainly not endearing or attractive. Today gets a 5 out of 10.