Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Spoils of an Undemanding Job

I am fairly certain that I have not yet taught a full week of school, even disregarding the teachers’ workshop that has not yet met. There are always surprise days off, or classes have other obligations, or, rarely, they just don’t show up. It’s always a nice treat to arrive at school and be told that half your classes won’t meet that day. This happened today…I taught the first two, and then my co-teacher came by to tell me that the third graders would be spending time outside (doing what? I don’t know) and my third and fourth periods would therefore be free. Score! I love having an undemanding job. It’s just enough work to make me feel that I’m earning my pay, and just enough pay to allow me to have fun with all the free time I have. I don’t know why anyone would choose a career over this.

I hiked around Hongsan this afternoon—not a long one, but more of an exploration to lay the grounds for further penetration. There’s this trail I found at the end of last year that follows a mountain ridge from one temple on the other side of Hongsan all the way to another temple near Oesan, about 10-15 kilometers away. It’s indistinct and cobwebby, but fun for an afternoon out. Anyway, I did the whole ridge once last year and now I’m trying to figure out where all the offshoots go. The one I took today led me into someone’s garden on the edge of Hongsan. It’s much nearer to my house than the temple, so it’s good to know there’s a trail there. It was scenic, too—bamboo and pine and all sorts of other lovely green vegetation whose names I do not know. I wonder if it will change color soon.

Tomorrow I have a full day of work (I think….) and then I head to Gyeongju for the conference. Nika and I are going to hike on Friday morning before it starts on one of my favorite mountains, Namsan. It’s absolutely littered with ancient Buddhist carvings and statues. It’s really neat. Then, unfortunately, we have the conference itself for two days, and then we’re basically free for two days (the new kids have to do a sightseeing tour on Sunday, but we extendees are exempt because it’s identical to last year’s tour). I’m planning on a lot more hiking—gotta take advantage of this crisp and clear fall weather!