And today is better still than yesterday. Not professionally, of course…my students are little hellions these days. I was worried the past couple weeks that it was me—that my lessons were uninspired, that my boredom was showing through, that I am simply unsuitable as a teacher—but I think they are suffering from the same antsyness I am. It’s irritating to have the constant chatter and play going on when I am trying to teach (especially when I don’t feel much like it, either), but I don’t feel so offended or worried about its cause as I was. We are all ready for the semester to be out. I counted today…only 26 days left! And that’s assuming I work all of them, which I am very sure I will not. The end is in sight, my mischievous children!
This afternoon I continued my exploration of the Hongsan frontier…that is, its neglected and confusingly labeled mountain trails. I am slowly mapping it out my own way, by taking every route possible. Luckily, I am now familiar enough with the area that once I descend out of the mountains, I know where I am. Today I climbed the tallest point…343 m! Thin air up there, let me tell you.
My afternoon of exploring afforded me the time to contemplate my future. Today’s intricate dream-weaving centered on a tea shop called Cha Chip (Tea House, in Korean) I would open in Bozeman upon my return. I envision a cozy fusion of Korean and Taiwanese tea cultures, manifesting itself in an atmosphere with soothing music, ondol floors, low tables, cushions, colorful paintings and photography, books for lending in an informal library, and, of course, tea and all the trappings. There would be outdoor seating in the summer, as well, in a picturesque tea garden where we would also grow fresh produce. The menu would feature all sorts of Korean and Taiwanese tea (along with more local varieties, if they are even available in MT’s climate…) and snacks, primarily fruit and tea-based foods. Customers could also purchase tea in looseleaf form and I’d also have all sorts of tea accessories, like tea cups and tea sets and tea bottles (like my beloved Travel Buddy) and tea scoops and tea filters and tea trays and so on. Perhaps it could also function as a used bookstore, so I could thereby combine two of my greatest interests? It’s a compelling fantasy, but I fear Bozemanites are not the tea fanatics I am, so it would probably fail. Also, I will probably forget about it by the time I get back. Regardless, weaving fantasies like this gives me hope for the future—namely, that it does hold some promise and possibility!