Monday, July 24, 2006

Songnisan National Park--Sunday, July 23

On Sunday, we returned home to good old Chuncheon after a free morning and another magnificent lunch. Unfortunately, we vegetarians were segregated from the rest of the bunch for this meal, because the main dish was beef, but otherwise it was basically the same as our lunch on Friday and was utterly fabulous. I forgot to mention that my friend Jill and I acquired a couple of goofy straw hats and modeled one type on the bus ride home (see below).We returned home by dinner, which was as disappointing as always (what I wouldn't give for Pomona-quality dining halls!!!) and then I had to study, study, study for my Monday morning Korean quiz. Some friends and I went to a coffee shop we have been frequenting lately to study our Korean. I have been most surprised by the coffee culture here. Everyone seems to drink it! There are coffee vending machines all over campus that serve hot cups of coffee and even espresso shots (I think...I don't drink coffee). It's somewhat bizarre.