The highlight of today, obviously, was finally sticking my toes in that elusive Korean surf. I had seen the ocean briefly while at Seoraksan, but never touched it or really got near it and I was missing the water, let me tell you. I left work early today so we could take off. Actually, I only had to teach kindergarten today (my fifth grade classes were canceled because I’m teaching special sessions of fifth grade to students from around the area tomorrow), so it really wasn’t a big deal. I felt a little bad leaving early, but I think the teachers were all happy for me. At least, that’s what I like to think.
We were a little late starting, but finally set off around 2:30—Oma, Appa, Ye Eun, Eun Ho, and me. The kids were really excited about it, too…I think they were happy I’d inadvertently inspired a trip. We have hardly left the house together since I’ve been here. I think it’s hard with the line of work my host father is in, and he also has the only vehicle. Anyway, poor Mi Syeong had school, so we left her behind. We traveled about 40 minutes or so to this really beautiful area, with lots of large, wooded mountains/hills and, of course, the ocean. I was wishing I’d been placed there, but that just wasn’t an option anyway. I would like to go back, though. We basically just walked up and down the beach. Eun Ho and Ye Eun got soaking wet—again, so funny to see them getting wet in their regular clothes! We collected a ton of seashells and it was really fun. The family also took me to get magazines, because I need some for my classes tomorrow. Too bad they were so expensive and I could only find fashion magazines. I’m sure I could have found something else, but I felt rushed because they took this special trip into the town there just for me. A side note: while we were driving in, they pointed out a yarn shop…they DO exist here! I was so excited to discover that! It didn’t look especially fabulous from the outside, but it’s got to be better than South Africa!
We got home around dinnertime and have just been chillin since. Ye Eun and Eun Ho “helped” me download my pictures from this past week—students, the flower trip yesterday, and the beach today—and we looked at them together. We also looked at some of the pictures of home I have hanging up. They are not tired of them yet, it seems. After dinner, I got a Montana puzzle out and we started doing that. I just had to kick them out of my room, though…11 pm and the little rascals are still awake! I swear, the sleeping schedules in my family are soo weird. Right now, my host father is asleep and snoring in the main room, where he often falls asleep watching TV. The kids usually stay up until at least 10, if not later. They must not get much more sleep than I do…how can they stand it? And they’re still so good-natured! A mystery, to be sure.