Today was the third grade teacher’s last day with us. He is joining the army tomorrow! He told me earlier that he was not looking forward to it—he’s going to miss his students and all of us at Hongsan Elementary School, plus the army is no picnic—but army service is required and those who miss it are looked upon as less manly, from what I gather. He did tell me later in the evening that he would be a different person when he’s done in two years. More manly, I guess…couldn’t hurt in his case ;-).
We went out for duck that evening. I had mushrooms, egg, and tofu while everyone else gorged themselves on three courses of meat dishes. The fifth grade teacher brought Johnnie Walker Black Label to dinner, which was a definite improvement over that huge bottle of fluorescent pink lighter fluid we consumed last time we were out. We were divided into three tables, which my co-teacher termed the “High Alcohol Consumption Table,” the “Low Alcohol Consumption Table,” and the “No Alcohol Table.” I was at the middle table, for the record. Midway through the meal, the principal called me over to the alkie table and proceeded to ask me outrageous questions while making me drink whiskey and pour him soju-whiskey mixtures (absolutely disgusting, in my opinion!). For example, he asked me who would win if the U.S. and Korean armies fought, or who would win in a drinking competition. I was not really sure how to answer…I mean, I am pretty sure the U.S. would win, mostly because I’d hope the billions we spend on defense could at least protect us from Korea, but he is very nationalistic and I’m sure he wouldn’t like this answer. So I just said I didn’t know. He also informed me, via interpreter, that our school was the best school in Buyeo County. I asked my co-teacher about this when I was finally released and he laughed at said it was the best in Hongsan (where there is only one other school). The guy is prideful.
After dinner, we went to “second place” (dinner is first) and drank some beer. The group was much smaller by now—everyone who lived far away left after dinner and of the women, Kim Eun Soon and I were the only ones left. I ended up sitting next to Kim Keun Hwak and he talked to me more than he ever had in his life because, as he explained, he was very drunk and he spoke better English in this condition. Sounds like a confidence problem to me, but since I suffered from the same affliction in Spanish, I’m in no place to judge. He told me that he never talked to me at school because he was never drunk then. I guess that’s a good thing, but honestly…am I that scary?!? He elicited a promise from me to visit him while he’s in the army (I sincerely hope I don’t have to follow through on that!) and said he was going to call me his girlfriend. Man, this was all very amusing to this girl! Though the English was mangled and broken, I’m pretty sure the other teachers were urging me to stick around and wait for him for two years, which is just laughable. Nice try!
I guess this is the last time I will see him unless he visits the school next year. It’s strange, but it’s something I’m going to get used to in the next couple months as what seems like most of the school leaves for new jobs. I am sad…I really like almost all my co-workers and I will sincerely miss them. They’re irreplaceable, in my book. Tear. And unfortunately, I feel that I can’t truly enjoy them now with the general feeling of blah that’s enveloping everything lately. Here’s hopin’ it fades…