It appears that things are back to normal in the workplace. My co-teacher is back and is no longer weak and pathetic-looking with disease. Classes show up when they are supposed to. The only complaint I have is that I discovered today that someone’s been taking stuff off my desk, and I’m pissed. Where am I supposed to get magnets now, may I ask? And I am busier than ever, because without the free time from missed classes, I don’t have as much prep time and have far more teaching time. But no matter…at least I’m not out of the loop anymore. And I get to see the little uns!
Tonight I had my big TKD test. I think I’m officially a yellow belt (again)!! He said I did a good job, but I definitely messed up a couple times. I guess in comparison to first graders, maybe my work doesn’t look too shabby. I had to do a series of kicks and then this sort of routine. You have to do a different routine for each level, from what I understand, so this was the first one. While I was doing it, all the kids were watching and laughing at me. They are such little punks! But when I was done, they all clapped and said, “Very good!” and “Excellent!” At least I’ve been able to teach them two words, and they can even use them appropriately!
I forgot to make any mention of my trip yesterday. I have been texting this girl back and forth for a while now—another teacher my age who works at a nearby elementary school. We finally made plans to go to Boryeong, a seaside city 45 minutes away. We went to a rock park of sorts that featured all kinds of rocks and rock sculpture outside, an art museum inside, and an herb garden in another building with an attached restaurant, at which we ate. Then we went to a coal museum. I don’t know why she took me there…is that considered a fun activity here? Because I would normally consider it boring…After that, we finally went to the sea, but it was such a windy day that the water was literally crashing on shore and causing a ruckus. I personally liked it—the water was so wild, and there were windsurfers to watch (I think? I’ve never seen such a thing before!), but she wasn’t really into it so we went into a coffee shop and watched the sea from there while eating ice cream. It was fun enough, I suppose, but I felt so tired and it was sorta awkward. We were pretty much silent the whole time. Maybe she won’t call me anymore and then I won’t have to deal with it. I mean, honestly, why would she want to be friends with me, when she has so many friends she can actually talk to? I know they all feel obligated to hang out with me because I’m supposedly so lonely, but I AM NOT. I would much rather discover things on my own than suffer in awkward silence. Guess that makes ME the weird and unsocial one.