Monday, August 20, 2007

Back to School

Today marks my first day back at work. I was nervous about it last night—I could hardly sleep. But then again, it might have been the heat. And yes, I am rusty. I felt off all morning—nothing came out right, was presented right, was even interesting. The class dynamic played a factor, too, I think. Both classes only had seven students, and energy always lags in small numbers. Plus, it was so hot! Everyone I saw today commented on my sweat. Constantly. Is this in any way polite?

There’s serious construction going on at the school. I have no idea where they’re getting the money for this, since they are always telling me the school’s broke and even shorted me money last winter. At any rate, there are holes everywhere outside and they’re building an English room. Not sure yet if it’s a classroom…looks more like a preschool playroom at this point, with bright childish posters all over the walls, sections devoted to “Restaurant” and “Shopping,” and little floor space. We’ll see. I’ll have to make sure they’re not buying me $2000 toy dolls with my budget.

It’s been remarkably easy to settle back in here. It’s like I never left, really. Aside from the constant uncertainty my school bestows upon me, it’s relatively stress-free. I’m left to do my own thing and no one makes demands on me outside of school hours. It’s a little boring to have no one to talk to again after six weeks of constant chatter, but I’m sure I’ll get used to it. I have millions of books to keep me company, at least.