Thursday, August 23, 2007

Jet Lag and the Showdown

It’s amazing how easy it has been to settle back into my Korean routine. Infinitely easier than going back home, surprisingly. Sure, there are the cultural differences to readjust to—for instance, I thought it would be difficult to refrain from bowing, as it had become so ingrained in my interactions with people, but I quit without noticing and it’s been strange to bow again—and the language and all, but everything feels so familiar and almost comforting. Besides the nerves I feel about teaching again. Every time, I confidently dream up a stupendous lesson plan, only to be suddenly overcome by nerves as I go to bed and again all throughout the next morning. It’s worse now, too, as I’m out of practice. At least I’m not starting over with new kids!

The one adjustment that lags behind, noticeably and surprisingly, is my pee schedule. I recover within a day from jet lag, with the exception of the need to pee at absurd hours at night, every night, for weeks. I think my body doesn’t realize that it’s night now, not day, and I want to sleep, not sit on the pot. Least of all do I want to wake up to the sounds of host parents going at it, needing the toilet desperately but not wanting to walk out to the throes of passion in the family room. I was seriously considering hopping out of my window and squatting.

Today was the first official day of school. I am a little vexed at the moment at my principal’s unreasonable stubbornness. I finally got up the nerve to broach the subject of Friday vacations and my co-teacher’s been trying to rearrange my schedule to suit me, only to be blocked by the principal for no apparent reason. He is adamant that I need to be there five days a week. I am not sure where this sudden urge to work me to the bone has come from. I believed for a long time he genuinely liked me and wanted to look out for my welfare. That’s all a farce, though, I’m coming to understand. I don’t understand his insistence on working Fridays, though, as long as I put in my hours. I can’t see where he would benefit in any way, unless he derives satisfaction from the misery of others. In frustration, I’ve drawn up a strongly-worded letter which no one at my school will probably understand and I am refusing to sign my contract. We’ll see where this gets me. Probably back in America without a job. Good thing I brought 50 pounds of books to Korea last week.