Today I took my Korean final. I spent most of yesterday studying. It was not the complete disaster I anticipated, but I definitely did not earn any awards. Normally I'd be a little upset about this, but I am so burnt out on Korean and learning in general that I am simply happy it's almost all over. This experience reminds me why I didn't apply for graduate school right away...I need some recuperation time! It is also inspiring me to perhaps brush up on my Spanish because I realize now I knew so much more than I thought about the Spanish language. When I was taking the oral final today, I kept thinking of phrases I wanted to say and Spanish kept jumping into my mind.
Tomorrow I have to give a 3 minute speech about a trip I have taken. It has to be memorized. This is DEFINITELY going to be a disaster. I can hardly speak the language when it's written right in front of me--how am I supposed to be able to memorize a page of a foreign language??? I will try, of course, but I don't expect too much. I will just be happy to be done!
My foot is slowly getting better. The kankles are less visible now. I am still worried about my foot, but there's really not much I can do. I haven't been to TKD all week because I have been studying and I don't want to hurt my foot anymore, but this means I haven't been able to pick up my yellow belt yet and I really want it. I plan to go tonight just to get it, but I think he'll be mad that I haven't been there and I hope he won't take it away from me or make me work out because I will probably cry. I really do want to be there, but I don't think it's good for my health.
Things are really wrapping up quickly here, leaving me feeling somewhat disjointed. I have been stressin' about this exam for a while and have bitten off 9 of my 10 nails again. I am very excited about leaving Orientation because this has seriously been such a weird college-esque experience, but I'm also nervous to meet the people I will be spending the next 12 months with. It's very possible that we won't get along. I still feel very uncomfortable navigating this culture and I am terrified I will commit some unforgiveable cultural faux pas that will taint my year here. Though this orientation period has been relatively long, I am not leaving with as much knowledge about Korean language and culture as I anticipated. I am sure I have picked up more than I think, but venturing into "real" Korea is a daunting prospect.
Earlier this week, I received a package from my school. I think it had a lot of information about my school, but unfortunately all 200 pages or so are in Korean! I could read the word for school and I think I deciphered one chart. Based on this crude translation of the chart, I think the school has 190 students in 10 classes, first to sixth grade. There are more boys than girls, but the numbers are roughly equal. I am thinking that I may be asked to teach lower grades, too, instead of just fourth and up (the year English instruction begins), but I could be wrong. I will be meeting my co-teacher and vice principal next week, so I will find out very soon!