Today was my first day of school! I didn’t even set foot in a classroom and knew I wouldn’t heading into the day, but I was nervous anyway. I had no idea really of what would be happening.
First of all, it POURED just as we were headed to school. Luckily, my host father gave us (the two younger children and I) rides to school. Nice start to the day, really. I proceeded to sit and surf the Internet while the other teachers straggled in. I thought we were supposed to begin at nine, but it was maybe 9:15 before Choi Hyun Moon took me over to the auditorium, where 170ish curious eyes looked me over for the next twenty minutes while the principal spoke. I had to give my silly, horrible, Korean speech again, and though they did giggle, they were at least attentive.
It’s definitely an understatement that everyone in town has been eagerly anticipating my arrival. I have seriously been treated like royalty here. The teachers are all very nice and understanding with my halting Korean. Actually, they usually attempt English for my sake and try to engage me in conversation. I had heard that most Koreans are very understanding about the inability of white Westerners to speak Korean (though I hear that isn’t the case for Korean-Americans, or even Korean-looking Americans). They are not at all as judgmental about my behavior as I had expected and patiently lead me through proper behavior. They probably think I am a little bit stupid, but at least they are helpful. And the children….SOOOO cute! Seeing them lined up in rows for the assembly was so funny! Each class had two rows of children lined up backwards. They were so fidgety and adorable!
I spent the morning watching a video of a current elementary ETA (Pam) team-teaching with her co-teacher. I briefly met her during Orientation. It wasn’t the best lesson of all time, but was a good introduction to what they expect of me. I think it will be much more difficult in my case, however, because I will have nine people to teach with, none of whom will actually be my co-teacher. I am still wondering how this is all going to work out. I am supposed to spend this time giving myself a crash course in Korean teaching methods. It’s nice to have this time to prepare before I jump into lessons next week. I will be meeting with each of the other teachers sometime tomorrow to find out what they expect and what we should teach. I have strong suspicions that most of the teaching responsibility will fall to me—not because they would want to step back from doing their jobs, as all the teachers seem very hard-working, but because they will be embarrassed of their English in front of me. That’s fine with me, as long as they are clear on what they want to be achieved in the lessons and are there at least at first for discipline and translation, if needed.
I was interrupted on a few occasions this morning by curious students. First, all of the giggly sixth grade girls must have come in to say hello and talk to me. Their classroom is just down the hall from the library. I think they would have made the trek no matter what, though. Their English was actually quite good—I think I will really enjoy teaching them. I got the usual Drew Barrymore comparison from one and they were quick to tell me that I was pretty…no, beautiful…no, GORGEOUS! I am going to get a big head here…since I have been in Hongsan, it must be 5+ times a day that someone says I am beautiful. It’s awesome! They were so amazed that I am so tall…I am seriously a giant, at least in this section of the country. I am at least as tall, if not taller, than most of the men. They asked me my weight, too, but I pretended not to know. I know they wouldn’t be so impressed by that. They tried to come in during their next class break, but Choi Hyun Moon was with me, so they just watched for a while and then left. I was somewhat disappointed. He said they want to be just like me…very flattering.
Three first grade boys also ventured up to the library. I couldn’t figure out what they were doing at first—they were just fiddling around the room for a while, playing around on the computer and looking at books—but they finally came over and watched a bit of my movie with me. I was able to learn their names and what grade they were in with my rudimentary Korean. Yesss. I was wondering how they got up there, but I found out at lunch that they had asked their teacher if they could come find me.
When I am in the hall during their break times, I am literally ambushed with hellos. It’s a struggle to get anything else out of them, unless it’s one of the more outgoing students (more rare here than in America). I enjoy speaking to them nonetheless. I am glad they approach me, because I still feel shy and awkward in this situation. They make it much easier for me. Unfortunately, one little girl found out about my piercing and demanded to see my tongue. The whole group of twenty kids stared at my mouth eagerly. I tried to brush it off and pretended to not understand, but was only saved by another teacher shooing them to class. I hope they don’t tell on me. I still don’t know if it’s acceptable.
I had lunch with Mrs. Kim, one of the second grade teachers and the one who gave me the present yesterday. She is very nice. I guess she lived in British Columbia for three years…or maybe three years ago. I’m not sure. At any rate, her English is pretty good, I think, but she is definitely hesitant to use it. She told me a couple times already that she hates to speak it. I also spoke with Cho Kyoung Hee during lunch. She helped me by telling the lunch ladies I am a vegetarian and they were careful to pick around all the meat when dishing out my portions. She also carefully selected my grape bunch for me…it was a bit much, I think, but I wasn’t about to complain. I think they just want to make sure I am enjoying my experience here and they are doing a good job of it. She asked me to call her Kyoung Hee Sam, sam being short for songsaengnim (teacher). I like these little nicknames…it’ll help me learn names more quickly.
In the afternoon, I gave the principal (Baek jeong Hyun) his gift—a nice tablecloth that has a map of the United States on it. I thought it would be a nice gift and I think he liked it. It’s hard to tell. I also gave gifts to the vice principal and Choi Hyun Moon, but they didn’t open them in front of me, so I don’t know if they liked them.
I went on a little walk downtown after class and it was hot as hell. I was sweating very unprofessionally, let me tell you. And I must have seen every single Hongsan Elementary student, who each yelled out their hellos to me (though some were more polite and bowed). It was fun, but they definitely weren’t helpful in my fruitless search for the post office. Oh, well…the letters will have to wait.
Tomorrow I study more teaching methods, meet with the teachers individually, hopefully play some badminton with 4-6 grade students and Kim In Kyu, the sixth grade teacher, followed perhaps by some volleyball with all the teachers, and then a dinner party with all the teachers and staff in Buyeo to celebrate the two new teachers—me and a P.E. teacher. I’m looking forward to it all. Unfortunately, every passing day brings me closer to Monday, when I will actually teach, and I don’t know if I am ready for THAT quite yet!