Thursday, April 12, 2007

Hongsan Hospitality--Thursday, April 12

Day three of parental supervision. It’s been really nice having him at school with me, surprisingly. All the teachers have gone out of their way to be helpful and friendly and I suspect they have been planning certain events with him in mind—most notably, the extended field trip yesterday and volleyball for tomorrow. We NEVER play on Fridays, and this Friday, I can’t even play because I have class!! I really appreciate the entertainment help and the effort they have put into making sure he has a good time. Today they also took him to some sort of festival in Hongsan (which, again, I was unable to attend due to WORK) and fed him some pig and makkoli and Asian pear. I am sure most of this hospitality is just Korean second nature, but I can’t help feeling after last night’s discussion they have ulterior motives—namely, trying to get his support in convincing me to stay another year. Regardless, we are all enjoying ourselves and that’s more than I expected, so I am content enough with the state of affairs.

As a matter of fact, I am pretty happy in general. I don’t know if it was the weather change, the cessation of sinus pain, or my dad’s visit, but the stormy clouds of pessimism and despair have left this girl and life in Korea is rosy once more. I had faith this would happen, but I didn’t expect it to be so soon or so abruptly. Now I am entertaining thoughts once more of signing on for another year…we’ll see…I just hope I don’t crash again once Pops leaves me! I KNOW none of my third graders will survive it…..