Thursday, March 27, 2008

Hold on for one more day...

I sit at school again, killing time. My fifth and sixth graders are due in half an hour for their club class. I’m going to attempt to explain St. Patrick’s Day to them, which is bound to go badly since I’ve decided to wing it, and then I’m going to make them write letters to American students. I bet they’re going to be so happy with me. At least I have candy to bribe them with.

I finally decided, after much unnecessary agonizing, to go to Seoul this weekend, after all. First, it’s the simplest thing to do. Anything else was going to be very complicated and probably expensive. Second, I’ve spent too much time alone lately. I’m going a little nuts upstairs. Third, I think my hormonal imbalance has finally corrected itself and I won’t unduly try the patience of anyone around me. And finally, I got an email this morning that this guy I know from Pomona will be in Seoul this weekend. He’s been teaching in Japan and finally decided to make the little hop over. I’d already decided to go by then, but this served to reaffirm my decision.

However, there is one hitch in my plans. I was told earlier this week the students would be testing on Friday and therefore I planned to leave tonight. I just happened to wish my sixth graders good luck on their tests this morning when they looked at me in puzzlement and said, “No test!” So there goes that. I mean, it’s not too terrible to teach tomorrow—it’s just two classes—but when I’d been looking forward to three days of freedom, I’m a little disappointed.

I am still feeling sick, which is at least in part due to the fact that I neglect my health. I stayed up late last night for no reason at all. The thought of bed actually crossed my mind at 9, but that seemed too ridiculously early, even though I was tired at the time, and then I started watching my new drama, and then I become addicted and didn’t go to bed until 11:30. It’s a really excellent show—shaping up to be one of my favorites, actually. So at least I have that to look forward to when I’m cooped up again tonight.

I was plagued by the worst anxiety-ridden dreams last night. I know I was teaching for at least part of the time, which is always nerve-wracking and certainly not conducive to deep sleep. I also picked my mom up at the airport, only to find my sister Emily had not come because she decided she didn’t want to see me at the last minute. When the host fam started stirring this morning, I definitely felt as though I hadn’t slept. Always a good way to kick off a weekend, especially when I’m probably seeing an old acquaintance for the first time in two years and potentially meeting up with a random Korean guy. On second thought, maybe I should skip the drama tonight in lieu of sleep…