Monday, December 18, 2006

Reflections on the last week of teaching in 2006--Monday, December 18

Today I taught my fifth-graders for the last time and it was a really weird feeling. Everything is quickly winding down. I thought school always went by so fast at the end because I was so busy at the end, but it’s still racing by me, even as a teacher. I’m glad I will still have them next year, especially the 5-2 class. They are so sweet! Many of the girls were asking for my address, phone number, and email today. I hope I will see them some. Of course, that would require me knowing their names…

Hye Jung and Ye Eun enlisted themselves as my shopping helpers in Daejeon next weekend after I told them I couldn’t see them on Saturday because I was leaving. I want to pick up some nice things for my host parents and also have to meet Bianca to give her passport back. I’m not sure how it will work out with my “helpers,” but it’s definitely possible that they will either give up on the idea or their parents will veto it. I have a sneaking suspicion I’d have to pay for everything for them since I am the elder and that would really suck since I actually don’t make all that much money and am loath to part with it now, right before my big expensive trip. We’ll see what transpires.

I received Christmas presents from home on Friday and it’s all I can do to hold myself back from ripping them open. I really love gifts! But the anticipation is nice, too…it’s going to be fun to finally open them next week! Too bad I think I’m spending Christmas alone, since my fam will be “worshipping.” It will actually be nice to have a relaxing day, I think, even though my mother is insisting on waking me up at the ungodly hour of 7 am.

In short, the first half of my grant year is wrapping up nicely, professionally and personally. I couldn’t really ask for much more and am so grateful for what I have. I just received an email from Caleb, a former ETA at the Fulbright office, who warns us that most problems begin in the second semester. This makes me a little anxious for the future, especially since my school’s going topsy-turvy over the break, but I suppose I will just try to enjoy the present!