Monday, April 21, 2008

An Enthusiastic Hongsan Welcome

Today was initially stressful—the beginning of the week usually is, I suppose, as everything settles back in after the jumble of the weekend—but it turned out surprisingly well. In fact, I found myself almost in tears thinking about leaving this place…everyone really touched me today in their efforts to welcome my family. I am surrounded by some truly wonderful people and it’s sad to even contemplate parting. How will I ever be able to leave my sweet students? Ah, well, I suppose parting is inevitable—I’ll enjoy what I can and leave when timing’s best.

We started out late because I forgot American eating habits are so different from Korean—Mom and Beast were dawdling over their rice and took twice as long to eat as I did. And then, we had to meet with the principal and then head to the weekly assembly to be introduced to all the students. I think Beast was less than pleased with this turn of events, but what could we do? I’d honestly forgotten that, of course, there would be ceremony accompanying the arrival of two Americans, and I didn’t warn them. I’d forgotten, too, that it could be terrifying to stand on a stage in front of 200 piercing stares—it’s all warm smiles to me these days. But they did well.

But I was really amazed by my students—by their openness to strangers, their efforts to communicate in a language they don’t fully (or even partly) comprehend, their enthusiastic welcoming. We were surrounded by friendly youngsters everywhere we went, and they were constantly ambushing us in the classroom, too. I am certain I never would have been so forward with foreigners—or indeed, with anyone!—as a child. I find their friendliness really admirable. We should all be less reserved! Though, this afternoon when I was trying to prepare for my horrific club class, I was not so enamored with all the interruptions. I felt bad, but I chased them all out of the room. I just can’t handle the loud play, and plus, it breeds a poor learning atmosphere. And for once, the class went really well, so perhaps this was the solution. Or the kids are frightened of my mom. Either way, I’m happy—one less nightmare for me!