Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Maybe school won't kill me after all...

I am beginning to think I will make it through the semester after all. Three more months? It’s manageable, when the weeks fly by as they have been, and especially when I’ll have Mom and Beast to distract me for one of those months. I even briefly contemplated the idea of sticking around today, before I remembered that would be INSANE. No, this will be enough. Things are going well now, but I cannot waste away all my flowery youth in the Korean countryside!

Today the fifth grade teacher dropped by for one of our chats after lunch. I actually really like talking to him—in part because I have a tiny crush on him, as the only male teacher near my age, and in part because he’s the only one who will actually seek me out. I know some of the others profess the desire to speak English better, but they never make the step to approach me. At least I’m interacting with one teacher this way.

The topic was: Bridget. He was really concerned that she’d be in his classroom. I’m not sure where he got this idea—I told the principal and my co-teacher she was home-schooled and my mom was her teacher—but I guess the message didn’t get through. He painstakingly explained to me why it wouldn’t be a good idea and I, of course, agree. It would be ludicrous to place her in a Korean classroom when she knows absolutely none of the language! Why would that ever be the natural conclusion?!? Once I’d alleviated his concerns, we practiced their names (Bridget’s a tough one for Koreans) and some things he could say to them. And then he ran away. So funny!