Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Rainy Election Day

Today was election day—a national holiday. Unfortunately, it rained. Spring is really here, with its rapidly changing weather…balmy one day, frigid and rainy the next. Maybe I do miss winter after all. There’s nothing worse than a rainy day off.

I couldn’t decide what exactly to do. I’ve been so ambitious lately, making extravagant plans for all my time off, but sometimes I feel it hasn’t been the best course of action. I end up spending it all on the bus. So after extensive deliberation, at the last minute I decided on Gongju. It’s not far, and it would be more of a sightseeing excursion than a hiking one, so if it did rain, as predicted, my plans wouldn’t be completely ruined. I got very wet walking to Seonggoksa, though. (There were no buses the last four kilometers and my umbrella was next to useless—it kept turning inside out in the wind.) I think I could wring out my shoes. The temple housed literally millions of Buddha figures, some of them 70+ meters high, but actually wasn’t all that atmospheric. It felt very new and almost gaudy, once you got over the awe of sheer size and quantity. Still glad I saw it, however.

I do feel down today, especially in comparison to yesterday. Dare I say that I miss work??? No, I think it is the weather, and the letdown of a day off. There’s the realization that I have to go back already tomorrow—the week is only half-done, unfortunately. I still don’t feel quite as settled and serene in my heart as I remember feeling toward the end of last semester—still a little surly, still a little resentful, still a little irritable. There’s been progress, at least, and I’m certain a few more days of sunshine could cure me completely!