And so it begins again. Another week. It’s weird to think I only have three left now—this semester has certainly flown by.
Some highlights from today:
1. At lunch, I sat with my second-grade students. Somehow, the subject of love came up—probably because Joo Hee, my greatest admirer and future boyfriend, scooted right over to sit by me, and the girls were teasing him. They asked me if I loved him, and of course I answered yes (to giggles); to ease the embarrassment (if he felt any), I told them that I loved all my students. So we ran through the whole list of their classmates—“Eun Young sarang heyo?” “Keon Hee sarang heyo?” “Yes, yes, yes.” They were so amused and kept running over to their teacher to tell her the OUTRAGEOUS things I was saying. So little Keon Hee, one of my worst students but lately one of my favorites, anyway (of the hiding-behind-parked-cars-and-scaring-me-senseless/bruising-my-hands-with-enthusiastic-high-fives fame), runs over, says something to his teacher, runs back, and blurts, “Me, too!” I’d been expecting tolerance, at best, from eight-year-old boys. I melted.
2. I was walking home the long way, as usual, when I heard the telltale whine of our army guy’s little yellow motorbike. He slowed down behind me, as become his habit lately, and turned to wave to me as he passed. Either my radiant beauty was too distracting or he is not a good driver—he nearly swerved into the ditch. I snorted aloud and I think he heard me.