Wednesday, March 28, 2007

And down some more--Wednesday, March 28

I can’t believe it’s only Wednesday and I am less than halfway through my teaching hours for the week. Today was one of those days that makes me want to RUN, away from Korea, to anywhere else. Or at least, run from my classroom. I was evidently not the only one, as some of my darling monsters were quite eager to show me their running skills today, often in combination with a vocal competition. Man o man, I am soooo tired of some of these kids. I used to think that their behavior problems arose because of my lack of teaching skill, and while this may be partly true, I am just not willing to take all the responsibility anymore. I am sick of being an underappreciated nanny to 200 kids and I’m just not going to do it anymore. If the other teachers aren’t going to co-teach, that is fine, but they will receive the joy of all the kids I have to kick out! [insert evil laugh] This is probably sounding a little harsh—I do still like most of them, but I have simply reached the end of my rope with many. The thought of prolonging this punishment for another year received only a grim chuckle. Come fall, I think I am homeward bound.

I did have a good day in TKD, though. I am currently working on the fourth form and will be tested on that on Friday. Today I learned and mastered the fifth form as well. Considering that yesterday I couldn’t even remember the first, second, and third forms, I was quite pleased with myself! My squat little tutor was happy, too, that he didn’t have to do much except say, “Okay!” at the end.

It was raining furiously during TKD class but had nearly stopped by the end. Foolishly, I decided to risk it and walk home. What do you know—it POURED on me and my backpack of formerly clean work clothes and new box of American books, delivered today courtesy of Mom. I can’t remember the last time I was that frustrated and miserable. But now, with a tummy full of cookies and grapes and I, Claudius to look forward to, things seem a lot better.