Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The good, the bad, and the WOW!!--Tuesday, March 13

Things are falling back into place now. My classes are going well, my students are listening and behaving moderately well, and I don’t feel completely overwhelmed with work. It’s good all around. Today it was a bit warmer—enough so that I was hot in my classroom and could go outside without my jacket. I even went on a jog this afternoon in only a long-sleeved t-shirt! No one is more glad than I that spring is returning.

I am starting to remember now how much I really do enjoy my students. They are so funny and cute and for the most part easy to please. They are definitely becoming more familiar with me and this newfound ease has manifested itself in attempting to distract me in all my off-time. The girls are especially guilty. After all my classes they linger, talk to me, try to convince me to give them candy (and today, money), and sometimes help me clean up the room. It’s lucky they are so cute, or this could be exasperating!

This afternoon I had to teach my enrichment class to my third and fourth graders. I only had eight students because the 3-2 class didn’t show, so that was nice. I did a really simple colors lesson and I think they enjoyed it. They learned, at least! Oh, it’s going to be a difficult transition when I suddenly have to teach students from the other schools, too…25 youngsters in the afternoon is a nightmare. At least I don’t have to teach two back-to-back periods this semester.

Things are not proceeding so smoothly on the teacher relationship front. I basically never see them because I’ve taken to holing up in my room. In the mornings, I always have classes to prepare for, and after lunch, I usually try to make sure I’m there to talk to my sister online. I actually prefer it this way…I am not a big fan of loitering on the job and usually don’t make idle conversation even back at my jobs in America. I get enough of watching senseless Korean conversations take place around me…I don’t need to add to it and get less work done all for the sake of face-time with my co-workers. Plus, we’ve had all these welcome-back dinners. I do have to teach the teachers’ workshop tomorrow afternoon and I’m hoping, as usual, that it’s canceled. I really do not excel at teaching adults. I am reading some books Bianca lent me on ESL and I’m realizing what a lousy tutor I’ve been to all the adults that have requested it. I feel badly, but I really didn’t know any better at the time. The SK guys I had been tutoring have not been in touch, perhaps because they think it is no longer worth the trouble. To be honest, I am secretly relieved and hope I don’t hear from them. Kids I can deal with. Adults, no can do. I am such a child.

I realized today that I’m something like two-thirds of the way through my grant already. I don’t know how that happened, but I suddenly only have four months left! It’s a little freaky. I also found out that I have until Mayish to decide on extending. It’s still a raging internal debate.