Sunday, March 18, 2007

Celebrating St. Patrick (Pt. 1)--Sunday, March 18

What a wild, wild weekend. I really don’t think I can even begin to describe all that transpired this weekend, both for decency’s sake and because I am starting to get very sleepy. I will attempt to at least give a brief run-down before I fall asleep at my computer.

Friday was a long, hard day. Nothing too remarkable happened, either good or bad, but I felt a lot better today for no apparent reason. I didn’t even have to force myself to smile—I was genuinely delighted to enthusiastically greet all two hundred of my students! I taught my usual classes and then had my first session of the fifth and sixth grade enrichment class. (Un?)Fortunately, most of the students didn’t show up at all or only halfway through the class, so I really didn’t have to do anything.

I left for the day with my new co-teacher, Kim Jeong Sook, along with the new P.E. teacher (a really nice man I am quite fond of who taught sixth grade and badminton last semester), Kyoung Hee Sam, and the fifth grade teacher. These are all my favorite teachers at school, so I was pretty happy to be spending the extra time with them. The P.E. teacher even took us all out to dinner for my favorite—dosot bap (hot rice in a stone pot)! The meal was really good, but I kept spilling the red things all over myself! It was like I’d never used chopsticks before. I was a little mortified. And then afterwards, my co-teacher scraped up the side of her car—oops! I think she was really upset.

I finally met up with the crew around 8 in downtown Daejeon. We checked into our motel (a real one this time!), ate some Baskin Robbins, and then went to see a movie. We watched 300, which was perhaps the second-stupidest movie I’ve ever seen (after Death to Supermodels), but at least it was funny, if not intentionally so, and the guys were moderately hot and highly chiseled. We learned a lot about the price of freedom that night.

And now I must cut the narrative short as I am about to pass out at the computer. To be continued….