It’s bedtime and I am sitting at home in Hongsan. I really wanted to do something this weekend, but it looks like it’s not in the cards with all the work I suddenly have to do. I went to school early this morning to get my schedule and prepare some things for my Monday classes, and then I spent the afternoon writing up some lesson plans. I had serious ambitions to revamp my curriculum at the end of last semester, but predictably laziness set in and now I’m having to cram weeks of planning into a single weekend. Such is life, I suppose. It’s still going fairly well, for now…we’ll see how all my careful plans work out in the actual classroom! I have learned more about teaching than I thought, however—looking back on my old plans is almost embarrassing!
Tonight I watched the series finale of the OC. It was somewhat of a sad experience for me…in retrospect, this show has basically defined the last two years of my life. It’s been a constant companion—first in South Africa, where it was a household bonding experience, then that summer of 2005 with Bridget (who probably shouldn’t have watched it, but it was nice to have a companion), and finally last year, when it was a staple of my Thursday night, the only night of fun I allowed myself. The madness reached the point where I didn’t know what to do with myself if it happened to not be on for a particular week. Yes, I know the first season was the best and I’m not particularly attached to the show’s merits as such. It was more of the ritual of watching it that I will now miss forever. I’m really sad that I never got to watch it in real time again after last May’s finale. I suppose it will be on cable eventually and date me as a turn-of-the-century child.
Tomorrow I want to go on a hike but it’s supposed to rain. I’m not happy about this at all.