Thursday, March 08, 2007

Dinner Party Pt. 3--Thursday, March 8

I’m not really sure why my school is going so wild with the dinner parties lately, but this is the third one we’ve had in two weeks, for increasingly obscure reasons. First it was a goodbye party for our departing teachers—Choi Hyun Moon, a kindergarten teacher, a fifth grade teacher, and the P.E. teacher (I never learned the latter three’s names…oops). And somehow we lost our nurse from last year, mysteriously and without a party. Then last week we had a welcome party for the new teachers. And tonight was another welcome party. I hope this continues, honestly. It’s a bit awkward for me at dinner sometimes because I can’t really participate in conversation and everyone fusses over and even coddles me, but we eat AMAZING food. Even when it’s 95% fish, I still manage to eat well. Tonight, we had grilled meat and while everyone was busily cooking and putting together their meat/lettuce/hot sauce/garlic combinations, I was happily chowing down on the vegetable side dishes, most of which had been set aside especially for me. Glazed squash, garlic mushrooms, garlic spinach, acorn jelly, tofu, bean sprouts….oh, it was good. I am really spoiled as far as food is concerned in Korea—my host mother is a fantastic cook, and when I go out, it’s usually with other teachers so we eat really well. It’s done much to increase my love for Korean food. I am even getting to where I like kimchi!

After dinner, we went to a norebang again, but this time everyone came for at least a little while. They all tried to get me to sing a song (and were requesting ridiculous things I’d never heard of in my life…I mean, there’s no way I’m singing Kenny G!). I felt bad saying no because just about everyone sang at least one song, but really…these pipes are not made for solos, except to myself. There’s a reason I don’t sing much in my classes, folks!

And speaking of music, I told my co-teacher today of my desire to learn samulnori (traditional Korean drumming) and I’m going to start on Monday. I’m really excited for that. It’s headed by two of my favorite teachers and I think I love all the students who do samulnori.

This weekend, it’s off to Gumi to visit Janaki and then Daegu for some typical ETA madness. I am looking forward to it, but I don’t think there’ll be enough time for all I want to do. There are some temples I’d like to visit by Daegu, but somehow when I am with the other ETAs, we never end up doing anything but eating and drinking. Fun in its own right, I suppose. I also have a lot of work to do, unfortunately, and I think that’ll put a damper on things, not to mention cut my weekend short. Sigh. Why oh why did I choose a profession with HOMEWORK?!?